Violent men, a bank robber and a dangerous driver were dealt with at Teesside Crown Court

VIOLENT men, a bank robber and a dangerous driver were among those facing justice at Teesside Crown Court recently.

A MAN who violently shook a baby for 90 seconds after he was disturbed from playing his video game has left the child with lifelong medical problems.

Andrew Woodhall smashed the baby’s head against a stair post when he grabbed it after he was unable to stop it crying.

Almost four years after the incident, Woodall has finally faced justice for the devastating impact his actions had on the child and its family.

The Northern Echo: Andrew WoodhallAndrew Woodhall

The 24-year-old, of Victoria Street, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

Judge Paul Watson QC, the Recorder of Middlesbrough, jailed Woodhall for 27 months.

He said: “This case serves as a tragic reminder of the fragility and vulnerability of small children.”

TWO of the men facing trial for affray in minutes leading up to the death of Luke Jobson have pleaded guilty to the charge on the day it was due to start.

The popular 22-year-old engineering student went missing following a night out in Yarm last January when he tried to flee a potential violent confrontation.

His body was later recovered from the River Tees near Yarm School a few days later after a comprehensive search of the area.

Edwin Taha, of Lavender Way, Norton, entered his plea before the trial was opened at Teesside Crown Court.

The Northern Echo: Edwin TahaEdwin Taha

At an earlier hearing, a court heard how the 20-year-old was accused of squirting pepper spray into the eyes of Mr Jobson after the gang caught up with him near Yarm School following a chase along the High Street.

Ali Abdulmajieed, of Corvus Drive, central Stockton, also changed his plea to guilty before a jury was sworn in to hear the case.

The 19-year-old was the driver of the car which was used to pursue Mr Jobson as he ran away and attempted to escape the gang.

The charges against Ryan Alpay, 19, of Duneside, Elm Tree, Stockton, and Hammad Asif, 18, of Osborne Road, Stockton, were not to be pursued by the Crown Prosecution Service.

A teenager, who was 17-years-old at the time of his sentencing so cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced on Wednesday, June 24 after pleading guilty affray.

Taha and Abdulmajieed will return to court later this month to be sentenced.

A MAN who battered a student nurse over the head with a pool cue has been jailed for more than two years.

Samuel Smith attacked the woman while he was being treated in a mental hospital after two earlier assaults on police officers.

The Northern Echo: Samuel SmithSamuel Smith

The 30-year-old launched the brutal assault on the student nurse on May 14 this year while she was on duty alone on a ward in Middlesbrough’s Roseberry Park.

Smith swung the pool cue at her head but she managed to move out of the way as the first blow struck her shoulder, however, as she fell to her knees he smashed the cue over her head leaving a gaping wound.

Smith, of Cranbourne Terrace, Stockton, pleaded guilty to two charges of assaulting an emergency worker, one of unlawful wounding and further offence of criminal damage after he smashed a window at a bail hostel.

Judge Deborah Sherwin sentenced Smith to two years and four months in custody for the unlawful wounding offence and shorter, concurrent sentences for the other three charges.

A MAN who pointed an imitation gun at a neighbour following a complaint about noise has been jailed for two years.

Anthony Rennard was told he was taking a ‘crazy risk’ when brandishing the ball-bearing gun after armed response officers were called to deal with the incident in Darlington earlier this year.

The Northern Echo: Anthony RennardAnthony Rennard

The defendant was hosting a drunken party when he clashed with his neighbour and attempted to intimidate her with the weapon.

Teesside Crown Court heard how Rennard jailed for more than eight years in 2016 for carrying out a brutal assault on his friend over a row about a £30 debt.

Rennard, of Brougham Street, Darlington, pleaded guilty to possession of a Tazer, possession of a firearm and possession of the pellets.

The 25-year-old was recalled on licence following his arrest in January.

Judge Jonathan Carroll sentenced Rennard to two years in custody to run concurrently alongside his licence recall.

AN armed bank robber has been given four weeks to tell police where he has stashed the stolen money or face the possibility of a longer prison sentence.

Gavin Wilson robbed Barclays Bank of more than £15,000 after walking in wearing a balaclava, camouflage clothes and carrying an imitation gun.

The 42-year-old ordered staff to put the money a bag he had brought with him before making his getaway from the bank in Hartlepool just after 10am on Friday, June 12.

The Northern Echo: Barclays bank in Hartlepool. Picture: GOOGLEBarclays bank in Hartlepool. Picture: GOOGLE

Wilson, of Pinero Road, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of cocaine.

Judge Howard Crowson adjourned sentencing for four weeks to give Wilson the opportunity to reveal to the police where the money has been stashed.

He added: “This is only going to be realistically possible by him telling the police where it is and them recovering it.”

A DRINK driver who deliberately smashed his car into a police officer as he attempted to avoid arrest has been jailed.

Steven Brodie drove straight towards the officer as he tried to swerve around a Stinger which had been deployed to stop him in his tracks.

The 32-year-old was spotted driving ‘erratically and at speed’ in his Renault Scenic on the A19 towards the A174 roundabout in May last year.

The Northern Echo: Steven BrodieSteven Brodie

The officer fortunately only suffered minor, soft tissue injuries, the court heard.

Brodie, of Honeysuckle Courtt, Stockton, admitted dangerous driving and causing assault occasioning actual bodily. He also pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol, driving without insurance and resisting arrest.

The judge, Recorder Jonathan Sandiford QC, told Brodie it was “miraculous” that the police officer had not suffered worse injuries than he did. He said: “You were out that night driving a vehicle, you must have known you had no insurance, you will have known you had a drink and were over the prescribed limit.”

Brodie was sentenced to four years in prison and disqualified him from driving for five years.

The Northern Echo | Teesside