MOVING footage of missing man Steven Clark from Marske has been released today as part of the reinvestigation into his disappearance in 1992.
It is the first time that any film of Steven has been released by detectives from the Cleveland and North Yorkshire Cold Case Unit, who announced a murder inquiry in September this year.
The short clip of Steven was taken from a training video for the Redcar branch of the Rathbone Society charity in the 1990s.
It has been previously shown as part of two public television appeals into Steven’s case, one which was filmed in 1993 for London Weekend Television.
There was also an appeal in the same year shown on Carlton Television.
Today, (Monday, December 28, 2020), the bank holiday Monday after Christmas, marks 28 years to the day that 23-year-old Steven is said to have walked on the beach from Marske to Saltburn at around 3pm.
The missing persons report says that he went to use the gents’ public toilets near to the pier on the promenade in Saltburn, when his mum went into the ladies at the same time.
He wasn’t seen coming out of the toilets and the report says that he didn’t return home.
The investigation team has had a positive response to the many public appeals for information, and has released the footage in the hope that more people come forward.
Detective Chief Inspector Shaun Page, said: “Steven had a distinctive walk as a result of a childhood road accident, and the footage shows his walk, and you also hear his voice when he is sat at a computer and speaking.
“These clips were made public not long after he went missing, but we are releasing it as part of the new investigation in the hope that people who see it and come forward, if they haven’t spoken to us already.
“This year, the bank holiday falls in exactly the same way as it did the year that Steven went missing and many beachgoers will walk around Saltburn as they did then.
“The response from the public so far has been fantastic, but I would urge others to come forward.
“Crimestoppers is offering a £10,000 reward in this case, and you can give information to them entirely anonymously.”
Two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder and have been released under investigation.
Earlier this month, the author of a anonymous letter at the centre of the investigation was identified by police.
Detectives said it is a ‘significant development’ in the hunt for Steven Clark’s killer.
Officers have now identified the author of the letter sent to police in 1999 which claimed to know who was responsible for Steven’s murder.
The letter was received by police seven years after he disappeared
Anyone with information can use the Cleveland Police section of the Major Incident Public Portal via this link https://mipp.police.uk/ or call Cleveland Police on the non-emergency number 101. Crimestoppers can be contacted on 0800 555 111.