Dangerous drivers, armed robbers and violent men appeared at Teesside Crown Court

DANGEROUS drivers, armed robbers and violent men who among those who faced justice when they appeared at Teesside Crown Court.

A DRINK driver who ripped the heart out a family when he killed a cyclist in a hit-and-run has been jailed for more than eight years.

William Stallard also had cocaine in his system when he smashed into Michael Waistell as he cycled to work, causing fatal injuries as the cyclist was thrown into the air by the impact.

Stallard then nearly ploughed into a man walking his dog as he lost control of his white Transit van while speeding through residential streets of Hartlepool.

The Northern Echo: William StallardWilliam Stallard

Teesside Crown Court heard how the 58-year-old was hit with such force that he died instantly and the mountain bike he was riding ended up in the garden of a house on Mowbray Road.

Stallard, of Moffatt road, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, perverting the course of justice and drink driving.

Judge Howard Crowson jailed the 35-year-old father-of two for a total of eight years and fours months.

A MAN who stabbed his victim in the chest twice after he smashed a window at a pub has been jailed for more than five years.

Zak Lawrence broke a window at the Cleveland Huntsman pub in Hemlington, Middlesbrough, and when he was confronted about it he got embroiled in a tussle with a man.

Pub regular Glen Walker came out to help his friend apprehend Lawrence and during the ensuing melee he was stabbed twice in the chest resulting in a collapsed lung.

The Northern Echo: Zak LawrenceZak Lawrence

In a victim personal statement, the court heard how the incident had left Mr Walker feeling nervous when visiting the pub where he has been a regular for more than 20 years.

Lawrence, of Folkstone Close, Hemlington, Middlesbrough, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent.

Judge Howard Crowson jailed the 22-year-old for five and a half years.

He said: “He was then stabbed by you twice to the right side of his chest and it caused a collapsed lung and bleeding into his chest cavity which are serious but with the immediate help of doctors he has made, it seems, a good physical recovery.”

A PAIR of masked armed robbers who terrified petrol station staff and customers when they threatened them with knives have been jailed.

Shaun Briggs pulled on a Halloween mask and armed himself with a large butcher’s knife joined forces with Balaclava-wearing James Purdie, who was armed with a machete, to target the Nisa service station in Stockton on August 30.

They first tried to steal a mobile phone off a member of staff who was outside before entering the shop and threatening people with their knives and filling up a quilt cover with more than £1,000 worth of cigarettes.

The Northern Echo: Shaun Briggs, left, and James Purdie, right, have been jailed for armed robberyShaun Briggs, left, and James Purdie, right, have been jailed for armed robbery

In a victim personal statement, the shop worker said it had left her fearful about her return to work.

Briggs, 39, of Wembley Way, Stockton, pleaded guilty to robbery, attempted robbery and possession of a bladed article.

While 49-year-old Purdie, also of Wembley Way, Stockton, pleaded guilty to robbery, two attempted robberies, possession of a bladed article and aggravated burglary.

Judge Howard Crowson said the robbery must have been terrifying for staff.

He jailed Briggs for six years and two months and Purdie for five years and ten months.

A JUDGE has blasted a dangerous driver for acting like a ‘petulant teenager’ and told him is it was time to ‘grow up’ as he jailed him for a year.

Mohammed Suleman took police on a high speed chase around residential streets in Middlesbrough town centre after he was spotted speeding in the early hours of the morning.

The 28-year-old was travelling at speeds in excess of 70mph in 30 zones while driving through red lights and failing to slow down as he sped across junctions.

Judge Jonathan Carroll lambasted Suleman’s ‘petulant’ attitude and jailed him for 12 months.

Speaking to Suleman’s family who attended court for the hearing, he added: “I’m genuinely sorry having to do that in front of you; I’m sorry that you had to be here to experience that.”

The Northern Echo | Teesside